Monday, June 9, 2014

The Female Factor of Fishing

I am reading news and updates on Women's Outdoor News and ran across this May 7th article that surprisingly had no comments. I am a research geek by nature so I found it fascinating as I founded my business on the fact that "In a 5-year period, the percentage of female anglers increased by 2 percent, also increasing the amount that women spend on fishing related travel and equipment to more than $11 billion" (Anietra Hamper~Women's Outdoor News). For those who are counting, that's a lot of C-notes! 

So the article has excellent facts on the female factor on the world of angling as well as rock solid sources. The numbers in female anglers and money we spend is just going to keep rising. So my question is how is the market responding to this? I am not sure how the big dogs are reacting but I started selling Simms Fishing line on OutdoorTomboy.com because their corporate response was to officially embrace the women's fly-fishing market. There are others, of course. But wouldn't it be totally cool if more companies took an official stance?

We can all get our gear someway or another, but I for one will keep adding stuff to my website that I like or will use, or just think is cool as heck. I may not have all the dealers I want yet but linking to great companies like Moosejaw and Backcountry is a good start. Hopefully what you need will be all in one place eventually. If you have a great idea or product line you would like to see, I would love to hear from you. In 2011, the number of us (female anglers) was at 8.9 million...I would say collectively we have a pretty loud voice.

Fish On Ladies!

No comments:

Post a Comment